The Secret Health Carer Career, Protecting Patients
The path to your health care career starts at Concorde. In our Sterile Processing Technician program you’ll learn
effective methods of cleaning, storing, sterilizing, and inspecting both instruments and equipment – skills that
are necessary before and after patient procedures.
Primary Duties of a Sterile Processing Technician
- Clean and Sterilize Medical Equipment and Devices
- Ensure Medical Procedure and Patient Care Rooms are Sterile
- Record Test Results for Sterilization
- Package and Prepare Medical Equipment for Use
Sterile Processing Technician Diploma Program Overview
Concorde's Sterile Processing Technician diploma program essential health science concepts along with practical and technical skills for examining, sterilizing and tracking medical equipment inventory.
- Learn to help control infections by sterilizing surgical and medical instruments
- Gain essential knowledge of microbiology, anatomy and physiology, legal and ethical responsibilities of health care workers, and more
- Convenient blended class format makes it possible to continue working while you study
- Complete your diploma in as few as 4-months
- Includes a 80-hours sterile processing hands-on externship experience
- Meets eligibility requirements for the Healthcare Sterile Processing Association (HSPA) examination to become a Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST)
Concorde is seeking dedicated students who want to:
- Learn to help hospitals and clinics deliver quality care
- Prepare for career opportunities in hospitals, clinics, acute care, long-term care, hospice, and more
- Complete the diploma in as few as 4-months of study
Get started by scheduling an in-person or virtual Career Planning Session to explore if the sterile processing technician diploma program is right for you!
**Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projected national growth in job openings for medical equipment preparers in hospitals as a role sterile processing technicians 2022-2032 https://data.bls.gov/projections/nationalMatrix?queryParams=31-9093&ioType=o Projections are national. Local job market demand may vary.
Externships are a non-paid in-person learning experience, who's length and location may be subject to change. Concorde does not guarantee externship placement, graduation, post-externship employment or salary outcomes.
Sterile processing technicians help keep medical and surgical procedures safe. They examine, sterilize, and package surgical instruments for use in medical and dental clinics, operating rooms, and more. Their work helps reduce the risk from infection and cross-contamination during life-saving procedures.
Sterile Processing Diploma Coursework
- Introduction to Central Service
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy & Microbiology
- Regulations and Standards
- Infection Prevention
- Cleaning, Decontamination & Disinfection
- Surgical Instrumentation
- Assembly and Packaging
- High & Low Temperature Sterilization
- Sterile Storage and Transport
- Monitoring and Record Keeping
- Quality Assurance
- Managing Inventory
- The Role of Central Service in Ancillary Department Support
- The Role of Information Technology in Central Service
- Safety and Risk Management
Academic & Career Pathways
You're organized, methodical and now have a basic understanding about the health care system; you may be ready for more!
After completing your Sterile Processing Technician diploma program, go on to pursue your associate degree in Surgical Technology.
Licensing & Certification
Successful graduates will prepare to take the Healthcare Sterile Processing Association (HSPA) examination to become a Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST). Your exam prep and fee are already included in the cost of tuition.
Enrollment into this program is not a guarantee of employment and or admittance into other Concorde programs of study. Admissions requirements must be met for all programs. See catalog for details.
Sterile Processing Certification Exam Prep Course
CONTINUING EDUCATION COURSE
Online | 90 Days – $689
Offered for surgical technologists and sterile processing technicians who do not already hold the CRCST certification.
What it Covers:
Participants learn both theory and practical application to develop critical skills for preventing the spread of disease by properly sterilizing and preparing critical medical equipment.
Upon completion participants will be prepared to sit for the Healthcare Sterile Processing Association (HSPA) examination in order to become a Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST). Participants should become familiar with all eligibility requirements for the exam they wish to take.
*This program is not eligible for any Federal Financial Aid or VA programs.
Demand for Sterile Processing Technicians
Sterile processing technicians are an essential part of the medical team. Hospitals, clinics, dental offices, and surgical centers rely on them to help prevent the spread of infection by preparing tools that are properly sanitized.
Depending on the healthcare system, sterile processing technicians may hold different job titles such as central services technicians, certified registered central service technicians (CRCST), central sterile supply technicians (CSST), sterile preparation technicians or medical equipment preparers.
Sterile Processing Tech / Medical Equipment Preparers
As more people seek health care services and the ongoing risk from pandemics continues; hospitals continue to place infection control as a priority. To address this need, hospitals and clinics should need more medical equipment preparers a role served by sterile processing technicians in their central services departments.
Sterile Processing Technicians Provide an Important Service in Ensuring Patient Safety Across the Healthcare System.
- Cleaning and sterilizing equipment
- Packaging and preparing equipment for use
- Inspecting medical equipment for functionality and sterilization
- Maintaining inventory and organizing medical equipment
- Ensuring medical procedure rooms are sterile
- Transporting prepared equipment
- Recording test results for sterilization
The Sterile Processing Diploma program at Concorde is not eligible for Federal Financial Aid or Military/ Veteran funding options. Every student is unique, and are encouraged to meet and discuss their financial circumstances.