Involving Family in Studies
Being in school as an adult can be a challenge. It becomes more difficult when youâre engaged in health care studies and at the same time are caring for children. It can be even more of a challenge to get your family to support you. You're splitting time with your studies, parenting and working. We want our Concorde students and graduates to be happy and feeling supported. So we enlisted the help of some of our student affairs experts and got their takes on how to best incorporate your family into your health care studies.
Ways to get family involved in health care studiesMany students have families that might have forgotten or might not fully understand how difficult some of the coursework can be, according to Amy Smith, Assistant Director of Student Affairs at Concordeâs campus in Memphis, Tenn. âGetting your family involved and invested in your studies can help you better understand your course materials," Smith said. "You can build memories with your family and help them feel more connected to your successes as well." Smith has a few suggestions to help get more involved in the huge investment of time, energy and resources youâre making by going to school.
- Create flash cards and have your family drill you on vocabulary
- Give mini-presentations about what youâre learning in school each week
- Brainstorm about what types of places you might work as an extern, clinical student and graduate
- You can have kids learning to type transcribe a portion of your notes as you read them aloud
- Have your family create practice quizzes, or use those at the end of chapters in text books
- Have your children help you find photos, cut out letters or photos and color in letters with you on projects
- Search online for some silly songs and/or dances you can do with your children that teach movements of body parts such as muscle groups or joints
- Give each child âfreeâ video game time if you have an app or website that allows for games to help you learn your material while they play games that interest them