Stay Active with Family Health and Fitness Day
May 9, 2019
The last Saturday in September is Family Health and Fitness Day - set aside annually for families to enjoy healthy activities together and promote healthy living. This year, plan to focus on your health together on Saturday, September 26th. Various events will occur throughout the country that aims to promote physical activity with family involvement, but you'll find these fitness-based events at locations in your own city, such as:
- Park districts
- Health clubs
- Houses of worship
HEALTH FAIR AT OUR SAN ANTONIO CAMPUS
If you're lucky enough to live in San Antonio, Texas, be sure to visit Concorde's San Antonio campus on Tuesday, September 29, for its Community Health and Wellness Fair (3 p.m. to 7 p.m.). A mammography mobile unit will be on-site as well as more than 20 health and wellness exhibitors - all primed and ready to help your family get on track with its own health program. Take a look at a few of these exhibitors:
- San Antonio Parks & Recreations - Mobile Fit Unit
- YMCA - Y Living
- CPR 123
- San Antonio Police Department: Demonstration Vehicle
If you can make time to join the fun, set your GPS for 4803 NW Loop 410, San Antonio, TX 78229.
Events such as Family Health and Fitness Day and the Community Health Fair at our San Antonio campus can be great springboards to launch your entire family into a healthy lifestyle. Start planning ahead now to make the most of the momentum that you generate by these special events.
THREE TIPS FOR STAYING HEALTHY AS A FAMILY
Being healthy is easiest when you have the support of those closest to you. Join together as a family to focus on healthy eating, physical activities, and smart behaviors. Below are a few tips that will help improve the health of you and your loved ones:
1. Dedicate to a meal plan. Craft a weekly meal plan that makes use of similar healthy ingredients. You don't have to spend much more to eat healthy food if you research the right recipes for your family in advance. Create a schedule in your kitchen so that everyone knows exactly what to expect for dinner. Consider packing lunches for the children to ensure that every meal provides proper nutrition.
2. Find some new activities. Finding something everyone enjoys is difficult in general, so when it comes to activities it can be quite a task to find one everyone agrees on. The right activity for your family will depend on personal preferences and the ages of your children. Here are popular family activities to explore:
- Bicycle riding
- Rock climbing
- Obstacle courses
- Martial arts
See what classes your community offers. Make sure you're all healthy and in good physical shape before you head out.
3. Minimize screen time. A growing problem within many modern families is spending too much time in front of the screen, be it the TV, smartphone or gaming console. While devices can certainly be great tools for learning and entertainment, using them sparingly will be important to developing healthy habits for children. For Family Health and Fitness Day, commit to limiting your screen time for the day and discuss how your family can develop a plan to replace screen time with physical activity in the future.
KICK START YOUR NEW HEALTHY LIFESTYLE
Family Health and Fitness Day is a perfect opportunity for your family to focus on health and get exposed to a few fun physical activities. Formulate a plan to parlay this fun day into a new lifestyle for you and your loved ones.
Adults who discover that they have a passion for health care may wish to pursue a career as an occupational therapy assistant where you'll be able to help countless families pursue a healthy lifestyle.