The Benefits of Drinking Coffee
Oct. 2, 2017
Weâre going to assume that a vast majority of our Concorde students, alumni and associates are coffee drinkers. Most people are. Thereâs a reason why Starbucks does such booming business. That rich, mocha taste and boost of caffeine is just whatâs needed to get going most days. The good news for your coffee drinkers out there is, recent research shows that adults drinking at least three cups of coffee per day can see increased health benefits. So, since Sunday was International Coffee Day, we thought weâd contribute to your health care awareness on the subject by pointing out the benefits of drinking coffee. The website, www.healthline.com recently published 13 Health Benefits of Coffee, Based on Science. Following are some health care awareness highlights for you coffee drinkers.
Some health care awareness about drinking coffeeCoffee is loaded with antioxidants and beneficial nutrients that can improve your health, according to the healthline.com article. Recent studies show coffee drinkers have a much lower risk of several serious diseases. Here are the top 13 health benefits of coffee that have been confirmed in actual human studies.
- Coffee can improve energy levels and make you smarter. Caffeine is a stimulant which is the most commonly consumed psychoactive substance in the world. In the brain, caffeine blocks an inhibitory neurotransmitter called Adenosine. This can help improve energy levels, mood and various aspects of brain function.
- Coffee can help you burn fat. Caffeine also is found in nearly every fat-burning supplement. Studies have shown that it can boost the metabolic rate by 3-11 percent.
- Caffeine can drastically improve physical performance. It stimulates the central nervous system and increases adrenaline levels. It makes the fat cells break down body fat, releasing them into the bloodstream as free fatty acids and making them available as fuel. It is not surprising that caffeine can improve physical performance by 11-12 percent on average.
- There are essential nutrients in coffee. Many nutrients in coffee beans make it into the drink, such as riboflavin, pantothenic acid, manganese and potassium and magnesium and niacin.
More health care awareness about coffee
- Coffee might lower your risk of Type II Diabetes. Studies have shown that people who drink the most coffee have a 23-50 percent lower risk of getting this disease.
- Coffee might lower the risk of contracting Alzheimerâs Disease. Studies have shown that coffee drinkers have up to a 65 percent lower risk of getting Alzheimerâs the debilitating neurological disease.
- Caffeine might lower the risk of Parkinsonâs. Parkinsonâs disease is the second most common neurodegenerative disease, right after Alzheimerâs. Coffee drinkers have up to a 60 percent lower risk of getting Parkinsonâs. Again, caffeine appears to ward off the disease.
And still more health care awareness about coffee
- Coffee appears to have protective effects on the liver. It turns out coffee might protect against cirrhosis, which can be caused by several diseases that affect the liver. People who drink four or more cups per day have up to an 80 percent lower risk.
- Coffee can fight depression and make you happier. In a Harvard study published in 2011, women who drink four or more cups per day had a 20 percent lower risk of becoming depressed. Another study with 208,424 individuals found those who drank four or more cups per day were 53 percent less likely to commit suicide.
- Coffee drinkers have a lower risk of some types of cancer. Liver and colorectal cancer are the third and fourth leading causes of cancer death worldwide. Coffee drinkers have a lower risk of both.
- Coffee does not cause heart disease and might lower the risk of heart disease and stroke. Coffee might cause mild increases in blood pressure, which usually diminish over time. Some studies show coffee drinkers have a 20 percent lower risk of stroke.
- Coffee might help you live longer. Given that coffee drinkers are less likely to get many diseases, it makes sense that coffee would help you live longer.
- Coffee is one of the healthiest beverages on the planet â¦ period. Studies have shown that most people get more antioxidants from coffee than both fruits and vegetables â¦ combined.